It is not easy to handle "fit of temper". Well some of you will argue that I am talking here one year old throwing fits thing but I am also advising how grown up can handle their fit of temper when they watch toddler hitting baby or toddler biting daycare. There are are many reasons of it but one of them is screen time. I advice parents really work on baby screen time. Reducing baby screen time helps her interaction with surroundings and helps a better relation with parents. So let's talk about how to control screen for your kid.
Parents are always puzzled since their kids are born as how much should be the screen time for the kids. Everyone faces this situation. Think you are at some of your relavites place and you find that his two year old has been watching Ipad for last two hours. Later you see that in the evening when her mom is in the kitchen or talking to some of her old friend, kid is again back to TV and watched some cartoon for an hour. It has been happening to more than half of the population who will be building our future society.
I shall share the recommendation from AAP but let's see the repercusions of longer screen time -
- Less quality time between parents and kids.
- Kids get readymade emotions rather than developing their own.
- Kids start living in imaginary world.
- Kids use screen time for distraction eg watching Ipad while eating. They don't get involve in the prime activity completely eg eating in this case.
- I have seen mothers using TV while breastfeeding their kid or feeding them food. The prime emotional connect is missing when screen time is used during this time.
- Kids with less connect with their parents will return low level of connect when their turn comes. At least if you invest quality time with your kid then when they are older, their ignorance towards you is not your karma.
How to reduce screen time for kids -
It is great if you decided and understood the need of reducing the screen time. This is also important because you understood the need to engaging the kids with human beings rather than imaginary TV characters :). Below are some trics which will do great-
- Find out some crafting activity with kid eg build your country flag with your kid.
- Find out some outside activity with kid eg cycling outside, or play fetch with softball.
- Plan playtime with some neighbor who has the kids of the same age.
- Ask kid to help you in some house chore eg putting his toys in the bucket.
- Floor puzzle which could be in the form of personalized puzzles, custom puzzles, photo puzzle, kids puzzles or disney puzzles are great fun and you can help kid make them.
- You can play song game with kid where both of you in turns.
Below is the recommendation from AAP:
American Academy of Pediatrics recommends link https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-aap/aap-press-room/pages/american-academy-of-pediatrics-announces-new-recommendations-for-childrens-media-use.aspx
- For children younger than 18 months, avoid use of screen media other than video-chatting. Parents of children 18 to 24 months of age who want to introduce digital media should choose high-quality programming, and watch it with their children to help them understand what they're seeing.
- For children ages 2 to 5 years, limit screen use to 1 hour per day of high-quality programs. Parents should co-view media with children to help them understand what they are seeing and apply it to the world around them.
- For children ages 6 and older, place consistent limits on the time spent using media, and the types of media, and make sure media does not take the place of adequate sleep, physical activity and other behaviors essential to health.
- Designate media-free times together, such as dinner or driving, as well as media-free locations at home, such as bedrooms.
- Have ongoing communication about online citizenship and safety, including treating others with respect online and offline.
Disclaimer: This is a personal blog. Any views or opinions represented in this blog are personal and belong solely to the blog owner and do not represent those of people, institutions or organizations that the owner may or may not be associated with in professional or personal capacity, unless explicitly stated. Any views or opinions are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, race, gender company, or individual.